Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The nemesis... and the new beginning thereafter

My 8th standard result was terrible and that is when I hit rock bottom. Flunked chemistry (and I suspect it would have not been different for this subject, even if I were the personification of good health)and ranked at the very bottom of my class.
The worst bit was that I was not rebuked by my teachers. I had been a very good student- always among the top bunch, and the slightest drop in my marks would have the teachers warning and cautioning me. But this time, they almost averted their eyes when I came in.
Quickly dig out the report card of a somebody, who could have done great but cannot because of an unfortunate disease. They murmured and nodded when my mother said I will improve gradually.

And then it happened. I got the standard, unbearable look of pity from my favourite teacher. The same woman who had, in the past sent flowers to me through my cousin when I pretended to be ill due to a strange reaction of diabetes. Who showed faith in me and asked me to paint prepare the class chart on time-table for our inter-class chart competition despite the fact that I was hardly coming to school.
I then remembered I had faked another headache on the submission day just to sleep a little longer. I also remembered being told later that a few of my friends had to quickly prepare the chart on that day and that our class did not win.

I realized that the only person to blame here is me. It was I who chose the easy way and chose to cry over my misfortune rather than make the best of what I had. It was I who chose to cling on every unfair episode, every cruel remark and every sympathetic gesture. And it was I, who forgot that I am special- not because I am a diabetic but because I am me, with all my inherent capabilities and strength.

All injections and lanclets put together would not hurt as much as the result did. And even the news of a cure would not have brought so much relief as the realization did.

Also, it brought out the best in me.

No comments: